7:23 a.m. ET
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

National Intelligence Director Dan Coats and National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers reportedly told the Senate and Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigative team that President Trump had asked them to publicly announce there was no collusion between his campaign and Russia, CNN reports based on statements by multiple people familiar with the hearings.

The request from Trump was made in March, apparently just a few days after then-FBI Director James Comey publicly confirmed a probe into ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.

A public hearing earlier this month did little to elucidate what unfolded in the intelligence directors' conversations with the president, in part because when the intel chiefs sought guidance from the White House on whether the talks were protected by executive privilege, they did not receive an answer. Both firmly stated they did not feel pressure from the president to interfere in the ongoing investigation, although they described their interactions with Trump as uncomfortable and strange, and did not ultimately act on his request.

Rather, the directors "recounted conversations that appeared to show the president's deep frustration that the Russia allegations have continued to cloud his administration," CNN reports. Read more details of Coats' and Rogers' conversations here. Jeva Lange

June 21, 2017

Islamic State militants have destroyed the historic Great Mosque of al-Nuri, the Iraqi military said in a statement Wednesday. The mosque, located in Mosul, is famous for its leaning minaret and was where ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi declared an Islamic caliphate in 2014.

Shortly after the Iraqis blamed ISIS for the mosque's destruction, the terror group released a statement via its Amaq news wire claiming that the U.S. blew up the landmark.

Earlier Wednesday, the Iraqi military reported that it was approaching the mosque in its continued fight to retake Mosul. Iraq reclaimed eastern Mosul in January, but fighting continues in the western portion of the city. Becca Stanek

June 21, 2017
Steve Jennings/Getty Images

On Tuesday, Uber founder Travis Kalanick resigned as CEO of the company, following a shareholder revolt.

Two people with knowledge of the situation told The New York Times that earlier in the day, five of Uber's biggest investors delivered a letter to Kalanick, calling on him to immediately step down so new leadership could take over. After talking with some of the investors, Kalanick agreed to resign, but he will stay on the company's board of directors. Uber has been dealing with allegations of sexual harassment at the company, lawsuits, and a federal inquiry into a tool it used to avoid law enforcement in places where Uber wasn't allowed to operate.

Last week, Kalanick, whose mother died in a boating accident in May, took an indefinite leave of absence. In a statement, Kalanick said he "loves Uber more than anything in the world and at this difficult moment in my personal life, I have accepted the investors' request to step aside so that Uber can go back to building rather than be distracted with another fight." The company's board released its own statement, which said Kalanick "always put Uber first," and by stepping aside, he is giving Uber "room to fully embrace" a new chapter in its history. Catherine Garcia

June 20, 2017
Stephen Maturen/Getty Images

On Tuesday, Minnesota authorities released the dash cam footage of the deadly encounter between Minnesota police officer Jeronimo Yanez and black motorist Philando Castile. The footage was released after Yanez on Friday was found not guilty on all charges in the shooting death of Castile. The footage was shown at Yanez's trial, but this is the first time it's been released publicly.

The disturbing footage shows Yanez approaching Castile's vehicle in a routine traffic stop last July. Yanez asks for Castile's driver's license and Castile can been seen handing something to Yanez through the driver's side window. Then, Castile can be heard saying, "Sir, I have to tell you, I do have a firearm on me."

Yanez repeatedly warns Castile not to pull it out, before reaching for his own gun and firing numerous shots into the vehicle. Screams can be heard.

Another officer approaches the back door of the car to grab the 4-year-old daughter of Castile's girlfriend Diamond Reynolds, who was in the car with Castile and Reynolds.

The footage, which is highly unsettling, can be seen here. Becca Stanek

June 19, 2017
Bill Pugliano/Getty Images

Otto Warmbier, the 22-year-old American student recently released from North Korea after 17 months in prison, died Monday afternoon, his family has announced. "It is our sad duty to report that our son, Otto Warmbier, has completed his journey home," his family said in a statement. "Surrounded by his loving family, Otto died today at 2:20 p.m."

Warmbier was in a coma when he was medically evacuated to the U.S. last week. Doctors determined he was in a state of "unresponsive wakefulness" after losing an extensive amount of brain tissue, likely because of a lack of blood flow during cardiopulmonary arrest. North Korean authorities said Warmbier contracted botulism not long after his trial, but doctors in the U.S. said they did not find evidence that he'd suffered botulism.

Warmbier was sentenced to 15 years in prison after he was found guilty of trying to steal a propaganda poster from his hotel room. Becca Stanek

June 19, 2017

Seattle police officers shot and killed a 30-year-old woman on Sunday after she called to report a burglary at her apartment, KIRO 7 News reports. Charleena Lyles, who is African American, reportedly had "several" of her four children in the home when she was killed.

"[Lyles'] family members said she was several months pregnant and had been struggling with mental-health issues for the past year," The Seattle Times reports. "They said she was concerned authorities would take her children, one of whom they said has Down syndrome."

The police that responded to Lyles' call also received a "safety caution" of an increased risk to officers at her address. At some point on Sunday, Lyles confronted the police with a knife and the officers both responded by firing their weapons:

On the audio, the woman can be heard discussing with the officers that there was a break-in. They calmly discuss an X-Box video game console being taken and roughly 15 seconds later, officers could be heard saying "Get back! Get back!" and "We need help" before gunfire erupts. A child's cry can be heard in the background. [The Washington Post]

"If worse came to worse, use a taser instead of a gun for someone that has three kids inside of their house," Lyles' brother, Domico Jones, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "I feel that it's not gonna bring no harm to nobody."

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray called the shooting "a tragedy for all involved." Jeva Lange

June 19, 2017

On Monday, Russia declared it would treat U.S.-led coalition aircrafts that crossed west of the Euphrates River as targets, a response to Americans shooting down a Syrian government fighter jet on Sunday, The Associated Press reports.


Sunday's incident was the first time a U.S. jet downed a manned hostile aircraft in more than 10 years, The Washington Post reports, and the fourth time in a month that the U.S. military attacked Syrian loyalist forces. Russia backs Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces in the fight against the Islamic State.

In a statement, the Syrian military said the jet was carrying out a mission against the Islamic State, and its pilot was killed. A spokesman for the U.S. Central Command, Col. John Thomas, scoffed at the claim that the aircraft was bombing ISIS, because the village of Ja'Din is controlled by the Syrian Democratic Forces, a coalition mostly comprised of Arab and Kurdish fighters, and ISIS hasn't recently been in the area. Jeva Lange

June 17, 2017
Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/Getty Images

Comedian Bill Cosby's sexual assault case was declared a mistrial Saturday when the jury failed to reach a unanimous decision after six days of deliberations.

Cosby was charged with three counts of felony aggravated indecent assault and pleaded not guilty on all counts, offering fewer than 10 minutes defense in court. He was permitted to leave court following the mistrial declaration, but that freedom may be short-lived: Prosecutors can choose to retry the case, though a representative of the district attorney's office says that will not happen immediately.

Jurors reported they were deadlocked Thursday after more than 30 hours of debate, but at that point the judge ordered them to continue deliberating. Read The Week's Lili Loofbourow on why America paid so little attention to the trial here. Bonnie Kristian

See More Speed Reads